How to Add a Second Hard Drive to Your Laptop Computer By Using A 2nd HDD bay Caddy
If you need extra storage space on your laptop, then you need to upgrade your hard drive to a larger one. But at the moment, 2.5" hard drive is very limited on size, the largest one you can get is just an expensive 1TB and you have to abandon your current hard drive, back up all your files, and reinstall your OP system, then restore..and hoping not to lost your important data.. this will be a long story for everybody.
But now you have an alternative option available ---- replace your useless optical drive with a large second hard drive! So you can maximize storage without mess.
All you need is to order a suitable 2nd hard drive caddy and a hard drive for your laptop. You need to know what is the thckness(9,5mm or 12.7mm) and connector type(IDE or SATA) for your current optical drive, then order a caddy accordingly:
1) Preparation. All you needs as shown below:
If you ordered the bay caddy from us, those four screws will be supplied.
2) Fix the hard drive inside the caddy
2-1. fix all the four screws on the HDD, screw in as far as you can:
2-2. Take the black plastic bar out and put the hard drive in, there are four small bars inside the caddy, they will hold the screws after you pushed the hard drive in position:
2-3 Push the hard drive in the SATA connector(only give presure to the edge of the HDD, do not push surface!) Then put the plastic bar back to secure the hard drive .
3) Replace your optical drive with HDD caddy (laptops are different, this instruction is for your reference only)
1. there should be a screw which holds the DVD drive, take it out first
2. Pull the DVD drive out
3. Transfer the screw holder to the new HDD caddy
4. Fit the HDD caddy back to the optical bay and fix back the screw .
5. Login in to system and format the HDD then done.
If you have added a new hard drive, please follow this instruction to initialize and format the hard drive: